Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Inspired by...Christy Sobolewski

About two years ago I found Gulfsprite's journal flips on YouTube and I was mesmerized.  Not only did she have a LOT of journals, but she was putting up videos of OLD journals and shared the progression in her art from 2008 to 2010.   I could see that she wasn't afraid to show the bad days when the art didn't work for her and not everything came out pretty!  That stuck with me...not everything was "pretty".  Her own words.    It was only natural that I jumped at the chance to take an online class from her.  Yes!

I joined her very first session of 30 Days of Art Journaling and got a whole lot more than I bargained for.  I've taken a lot of online classes and Christy's has to be one of the best out there.  I loved every minute of it!  I made some unbelievable pages under Christy's tutelage, and it wasn't all that hard.  I just did what she told me to do, which is pretty much the key, right?  Do what the teacher says....if you can understand it.  I had no problem understanding because Christy's a damn good teacher and she isn't afraid to share all that knowledge.  The daily videos didn't hurt either, being able to watch Christy creating a page in her journal every day was awesome.

This page of flowers is one I learned from Christy and I have to be honest with you...I thought I did one hell of a good job!  It didn't look exactly like Christy's page but it was close enough for me and I was one happy girl!  I did it!  I painted a background and then I painted flowers on top of it!  Me!  I painted!  Whooohooo!  Damn, that was a good day; I'll never forget it!

I remember Christy was working on drawing faces at that time, too.  Now that she's accomplished at that as well, she also teaches it along with several other classes.  She has a great Facebook Group that shares their art and their knowledge without hesitation.  This is a private group and you must request to join.

Christy's Website Gulfsprite
Facebook Group Art Geeks
YouTube Christy Sobolewski