Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Inspired by...Dina Wakley!

Last Saturday I took my first "live" art class with Dina Wakley and I'm SO GLAD I did!! Oh my goodness, the energy in that room! It was just AWESOME!

From the minute Dina walked up and introduced herself, I felt as if I'd known her forever. She's probably one of the warmest people I've ever met, totally approachable and outgoing, with a natural talent for teaching. Each time we were called to "gather round" we eagerly did so, and watched as she explained the next step in our process. If you don't know of Dina you probably live under a rock. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that you've seen her art in your travels. Her gorgeous grunge style artwork is easily recognizable, and it's everywhere! I'm tellin' ya, this girl ROCKS!

I'm pretty used to working at my own pace, which is a great deal slower than those who are two or three decades younger than me, and with the quick pace of the class, I didn't do my best work. But it was fun, and creative, and Dina told me that my pages were gorgeous! So inspiring! Did I tell you that this girl ROCKS!?

An added bonus was Dina's "Ipod" version of her upcoming Faces class. Within minutes, we were drawing our own faces! Okay, I didn't draw a face, but several of my fellow students did. I think I need the whole class for that, but if I happen to add a face to my book, I'll let you all know.

The sad news about this class is that it wasn't long enough! Apparently, we were enjoying ourselves so much that time got away from us and !poof! it was over! I tried to take some pictures but everyone was saying goodbye and moving about, and the commotion was non-stop! Dina was hugging everyone, and I was hugging everyone, and it felt like I was saying goodbye to my BFF's! It was an inspiring, crazy, whirlwind of a day and I can't wait to do it again!

Thank you, Dina. Can't wait for your return!

DINAWAKLEY.COM