Monday, October 15, 2012

A little collage

Lots of things going on in my mind these last few days. I've been watching Gulfspr1te's and Rhomany's vlogs lately (thoroughly enjoyable btw) and thinking about the type of journaling I've done most recently. More precisely, pages using cartoon type characters that really are not my style at all. Every time I see a fabulous page done by some brilliant art journaler, I ooh and aah and want my own, but they don't come out the same. As fun as they may be, they're just not me.

In one video, Gulfspr1te advises someone who's blocked to stop looking at other artist's work on the internet and just go and make art, make a mess! I immediately identified with that poster because I'm always watching videos and taking classes, and comparing myself to them. Ew. Yeah, I'm that person, the one everyone says I shouldn't be. *sigh*

Then this morning, another poster asked about finding her style as a beginner. I loved this answer! She was told to watch everyone, take all the classes, and I gave Christy a loud cheer and a round of applause! I'M a beginner. I will always be a beginner. How's that for justification? Good? Good!

All of this thinking boiled down to what I really enjoy doing and that's collage. So I made a very simple collage today and I like it. It's about my niece and her daughter, and the posts she makes on FB about her. I love that she loves her so much, and that the feeling is mutual. Yesterday would have been my sister's 75th birthday, hard to imagine her at that age, but I know she would love the little messages on FB as well. Happy Birthday, Joan.