Saturday, February 18, 2012

The Power of Fur





When I lost my Frasier, I hung out with some wonderful cat people at the FFRC Chatters Group. I received a lot of love and understanding. One message posted to me was "Please find someplace to go SOON where you can get your hands in some fur-I think it's the only balm for your heartache." Was she ever right! I never realized how many times a day my fingers would run through that precious fur, or how it was so natural to just reach out and softly pet him as he curled up next to me on the couch. It was an actual physical habit that I was withdrawing from and my heart ached for it. So the next day I ventured out to the shelters not knowing if I was ready for this or not. I went every day to a different shelter, or to Petco and Petsmart where the fosters without homes were kept in cages. I wanted to bring them all home but I couldn't, and settled on this beautiful little girl with the big plume of a tail. One record says she's a Maine Coon mix, another says Turkish Angora, but whatever she is...she's now mine. Or rather, I'm hers.