Friday, October 19, 2007

Why Am I Blogging?


Okay, here we go. A month late, but better late than never. I thought about doing this before I moved to the desert.....figured it would be a good way to let everyone know what's going on, and how I find life in the desert. Actually, I haven't kept a diary since I was a kid.....(learned my lesson when my brother read it!) That's what blogs are, diaries for the world to read. Well, this one isn't for the world, it's just for you, a few select family and friends. I'm not trying to set the world on fire here, just stay in touch better and talk to everyone. I'm not good at writing letters anymore, or making phone calls. It must be age.

I officially moved to Palm Desert on August 30th....possibly the hottest day I could pick to move here. The heat was intense. 113° and it stayed there for two weeks. It was hot, hot, hot! But I absolutely could not deny how beautiful it was....and is. Palm Desert, along with Palm Springs and about seven other desert communities, is located in the Coachella Valley, surrounded on three sides by mountains. It's picturesque to say the least, and I'm told the best is yet to come...when there's snow on the mountains. There's not much humidity so 90° feels like 80° - and 80°is nothing. I like being warm.

I ended up here because my boss made me an offer I couldn't refuse. Open an office in Palm Desert. Set it up, run it, it's yours. I said thanks, but no thanks. Who wants to live in the desert? I've already lived in a sandpit once, that was enough. I hated living at the beach...it was cold, man was it cold. It was windy, overcast and dirty.... What would the desert offer me but more of the same...it just wouldn't be overcast.